I am very excited to be running to be your Ward 4 City Councillor. I am born and raised in Guelph, the daughter of immigrant parents. I am a proud alumna of the University of Guelph and a Guelph Mercury Tribune 2018 Top 20 Under 40 recipient. I have been a resident of Ward 4 for over 30 years and this is where I currently reside with my husband and two children. I am your neighbour in Ward 4.
Since 2001, I have been working in the educational publishing field. I am a freelance permissions editor and I work on many elementary, secondary and university/college textbooks. I love to learn and my job allows me to learn everyday.
I am running to bring an accountable voice back to the residents of Ward 4. It has been wonderful to chat with my neighbours of Ward 4. I am eager to continue to meet with my fellow residents and community groups to listen to their thoughts about Guelph and the local issues affecting them. As an elected Councillor, I will engage with the residents to represent their voice on City Council and connecting the Ward 4 community.
Guelph is an extraordinary city and a great place to live and call home. I want it to stay that way and continue to improve in the future. I believe that many of my neighbours share this perspective, and we in Ward 4 deserve more of a voice in city affairs. I want to serve on City Council in order to be that voice.
I am very committed to community service and I have spearheaded many initiatives to help the community. I have served on many local boards and organizations such as:
· President of West Willow Village Neighbourhood Group
· Black Tie Bingo Committee, Fundraiser for the Guelph General Hospital
· Volunteer with the Guelph Royals baseball team
· President, Indian Students Association of University of Guelph
· CFRU Board of Directors, radio station at University of Guelph
· volunteer server at Welcome In Drop-In Centre
· volunteer at Coldest Night of the Year
· volunteer at the Guelph Food Bank
· Board of Director for Lilliput Land Nursery School in Guelph
· contributor to the Guelph Life magazine Style Panel
· Founding director of the Guelph Punjabi Cultural Group (fundraising for local community causes)
My interactions with many grassroots organizations and neighbourhood groups have inspired me to run for City Council.
I will continue to connect with Ward 4 citizens leading up to the October 22nd election. Please feel free to contact me at 519-221-9424 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and let me know what you think are the important issues.